Friday, June 1, 2007

Week 4 RSS Feeds and Newsreaders#8 and #9

I have spent many hours the past 4 days investigating the difference in the aggregators. I already subscribe to 6 feeds thru RealTime. I tried bloglines and Google Reader, but I really like RealTime better. I think it has a much cleaner look to it. The setup is easy to navigate.
I've used the RealTime with students for social studies a few times. I hope to use it more.
We use it for science current events all the time. The kids really like that. We like Reuters to easy search for an interesting item. RealTime says powered by feedster. I thought feedster was a reader also, still can't figure that out. I like how RealTime has a tickertape at the bottom of my screen.
The best thing I discovered and why it has taken me so long for this activity is that I found Connotea. This site organizes and shares your links to your references.. It can automatically add bibliographic information to your work. It is for scientists and academia, however it is changing to add more fields. Looks interesting enough to spend some time checking it out.

I subscribe to a few library newsreaders, blogs and such. I participate in Calib, Mid-lit, LM_NET and Yalsa. I subscribe to Blueweb'n newsletter and Education World newsletter. I love all of these and get such good information from all of them. Another fabulous resource is Infosearcher. It is a paid subscription newsletter put out by Pam Berger. I will never let this subscription expire. I attend her conferences when she is in our area. She is inspiring to everyone in the audience.

4 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Thanks for your recommendations for RealTime and connotea. Great tools! We had trouble with the long links, so you might want to shorten your links to www.connotea.org for example.

Libladylib said...

I shorted the links, so I hope it works better. At the time I was editing, I lost the last 2 paragraphs and had to rewrite the piece. I wish they would add a back button. I still don't think I edit correctly. It changes the date of the post.
If I reread and change an earlier post, they look like they are created on the same day.

IrmaPince said...

I checked out connotea. It looks interesting. Thanks for letting us know.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.thomassabobraceleten.co.uk/]thomas sabo charms[/url] lexvx [url=http://www.bercrombieoutleten.co.uk/]abercrombie fitch[/url] dbtkd [url=http://www.ralphlaurenhomeen.co.uk/]http://www.ralphlaurenhomeen.co.uk/[/url] dmrrd [url=http://www.cheapuggbootsen.co.uk/]ugg boots uk[/url] adukx