Friday, July 27, 2007

Week 9 Thing #22 ebooks and audiobooks

I checked out Librivox and the Gutenberg Project. I have downloaded a book from Librivox in the past. The books aren't the ones I normally read. It did motivate me to renew my library card. My public library subscribes to CALIFA. I just checked out What Was She Thinking by Zoe Heller. I downloaded to my mp3 player. This is the first time I've done this. I can choose up to 5 books at a time. They are checked out to me for 14 days. After that, they just disappear from the mp3. Hard to believe. I can't wait to see that.
Best Places to get "free" books, looks to me like more of an advertisement. Most seem to be get 2 free after you sign up for a monthly fee. Buy 2 get 2. I may have gotten the wrong impression, but that is what I got from it.

I will however use my public library instead of purchasing them. I hadn't used the public library for years.

I just returned from vacation. I took a short road trip with my grandchildren 5 and 7 years old, and their parents. The 3 of us were in the back seat.They hate to be in the car long. After the first 10 minutes, both kids pulled out their players, put on their headphones and seemed to be in heaven listening to their books. The 5 year old was listening to Where the Wild Things Are. He was clearly getting a kick out of it. The 7 year old was listening to Freckle Juice. I put my headphones on and listened to my book. The kids' parents were probably thrilled to get to hold a quiet conversation. No fighting or bickering.

1 comment:

IrmaPince said...

Audio books would have saved many a road trip back in "the good old days". I'm glad you also rediscovered the joys of using the public library. I think many of us, myself included, neglect that resource since we have our own libraries so readily available.